Pages

Friday, October 8, 2010

Applesauce from Fletchington Farms!




A sure sign of fall at our house is a pile of apples waiting in the summer kitchen.


Ella was such a good helper this year.  She was able to work the apple peeler and peeled nearly all the apples.  I had to do a few by hand because they were too large/soft for the peeler.  Any one interested in making apple sauce, apple butter or apple pie, I would strongly suggest getting a peeler like mine.  It makes using apples a breeze.  They get peeled, cored and sliced all at once.  I just cut them into pieces the size I need.

Apple sauce is a great 'first' for the beginning canner.  Not in the least because it's done when it's cool  :)

Peel, core and slice as many apples as you want.  I used 1/2 bushel of Honey Crisp apples.  I often use Cortlands or Empires.  I like my sauce to have some body.  If you like a very smooth sauce then try MacIntosh.




Put the apple slices in a large pot (or pots) and add enough water to cover the bottom about 1/2 inch.  Leave the pot uncovered and simmer over low until it is 'sauced' as much as you like.  Depending on the apples you chose, I sometimes find I need to mash the apples to help them along.  You can also do the applesauce in a crockpot.  I rarely do it this way because it takes so long. 
After the apples have cooked for a while.  Give them a taste and see if you need some sugar.  I use brown sugar because it has more taste.  The Honey Crisp were so sweet they didn't need any sugar, even for my sweet tooth.  I also add some cinnamon, but that can be left out too.

Sterilize your jars, I use pint jars because that's the size that works for my family.  Fill jars with hot applesauce, leaving 1/2 inch of head space.   Put on lids (that were in boiled water for 5 min) and process in boiling water for 15 mins (20 for qt jars).


Peaches are nearly as easy.  I didn't make any this year, but I'll share my recipe anyway. 
Scald peaches in boiling water for 30 seconds.  Cool quickly in cold water and peel off skin.  Either slice or halve the peaches (as you wish).  Meanwhile, have your choice of syrup ready.  I do it 'old school' and use a heavy syrup just like when I was a kid.

  Here's a chart so you can chose yourself:

Light:      5 3/4 c water and 1 1/2 c sugar
Medium:     5 1/4 c water and 2 1/4 c sugar
Heavy:      5 c water and 3 1/4 c sugar

Boil sugar and water together.  Add peaches and boil again for 3 minutes.  Pack into hot, clean jars.  Add additional syrup to cover.  Leave 1/2 inch headroom.   Process in boiling water for 20 minutes (pints) or 25 minutes (quarts).

A delicious bit of summer in the middle of winter.

1 comment:

  1. Maureen, this is a beautiful compilation of recipes - your food looks wholesome and delicious. xxx

    ReplyDelete